Thursday, April 29, 2010
Spiced Steamed Chocolate Pudding (Gluten-free)
Part two of my April Daring Bakers' Challenge was a sweet steamed pudding. This was an optional project I took on after having made my savory steak pudding and being rather unimpressed.
I found a chocolate pudding recipe online and doctored it up a bit with spices. The flavor came out fabulous, but as far as a steamed pudding versus a baked cake, I'll take the baked one. You can see that my pudding broke apart a bit and it was very crumbly, although moist. I attribute this to my using gluten-free flour instead of regular flour.
Serve this with a chocolate sauce, or some whipped or ice cream.
Spiced Steamed Chocolate Pudding
2 oz chocolate
1 tablespoon butter
8 oz plain or gluten-free flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
Pinch of salt
1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon blend
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
4 oz sugar
120ml milk with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract added
1. Lightly grease a 1.5 pint pudding basin.
2. Melt chocolate and butter together.
3. Sift flour, cinnamon, cayenne, baking powder and salt together.
4. Beat egg; add sugar gradually and continue beating till mixture is creamy. Add melted chocolate and mix thoroughly.
5. Stir dry ingredients alternately with milk mixture, beating until smooth after each addition.
6. Fill the greased pudding basin 2/3 full. Cover tightly with a roomy tin foil or greaseproof paper lid. Secure lid with string.
7. Place inside a large pot and pour water in until the pudding is half immersed in water. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
8. Serve hot with custard, whipped or ice cream.